Did you know that ITIL® is the most widely practised, one of the world’s most successful ITSM frameworks?
But ITIL (Information Technology Infrastructure Library) ® isn’t the only support system around which you can organize an “ITSM” framework for your business.
Then why is ITIL® Training and ITIL Certification so popular in today’s day and age?
There are plenty of other types of systems which can contribute to the growth of your organizations. It is essential for every big and small IT organization to have an ITSM framework in place.
What exactly is IT Service Management?
An ITSM Framework is a set of standardized processes of designing, delivering, managing and improving the IT services provided by an organization to its customers.
ITSM emphasizes on neatly aligning the IT processes to streamline service delivery with the foremost objective of helping a business grow.
Information Technology Service Management looks after all the processes, policies and activities that organizations utilize to manage and deliver IT services. Organizations usually use a pre-defined framework of best practices and normal processes to supply a disciplined approach to ITSM implementation by providing their stakeholders with prior ITSM Training.
While a single company can have diverse divisions, subsidiaries, and locations worldwide, it is absolutely perplexing to visualize that the same company might incorporate many, totally different frameworks, processes, and standards into its ITSM platforms to meet totally different goals. This gives us a clue about how an ITSM Framework should be able to balance multiple processes in an organization.
There are a number of alternatives to ITIL framework such as Management Objectives for Information and connected Technologies (COBIT) (Note: COBIT is not a complete alternative to ITIL, as it is focused on Governance and not Management, but is considered closer in connection with ITSM), Microsoft Operations Framework (MOF), ISO IEC 20000 and Business Method Framework (eTom). Even though all of them are effective and widely used, ITIL (Information Technology Infrastructure Library) is the most popularly practised ITSM framework. But what is the reason behind that?
There are other frameworks as documented in the Forbes Insights survey 2017 on The State of data Information Technology Service Management (ITSM). Let’s see what insights this report gives of the current state of ITSM frameworks.
The best ITSM framework
ITSM frameworks and processes most employed by the surveyed companies according to a survey by Forbes.:
- 47% of web sites use info Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) for ITSM, focused on orientating IT services that match the requirements of the business.
- 36% of companies use management Objectives for Information and Connected Technologies (COBIT) to govern management standards and technology assets of an organization.
- 36% of them use Business method Framework (eTom) that is usually employed by medium service suppliers within the telecommunications trade.
- 34% use Microsoft Operations Framework (MOF) that provides another framework (MSF – Microsoft Solutions Framework) for managing the IT life cycle.
Now, let’s try to find out the reason behind these results we just saw in the survey.
What are some of the factors that make ITIL the best ITSM Framework?
Why do most organizations opt for ITIL and ITIL Certification Training Programs?
- It is always ‘updated’. ITIL believes in evolution. Since the 1980s, when ITIL began its journey, it has seen many alterations and adaptations. After ITIL v2 that came out in 2000, ITIL v3 in 2007, ITIL v3 Refinement in 2011, and then ITIL v3 Guiding Principles in 2016, now ITIL has taken to a new, innovative, digitalized look that is ITIL 4 – SVS (Service Value System). It is a great quality to always keep updated and walk hand-in-hand with the world we live in.
Do you believe in staying updated too? Join our ITIL 4 Certification Training now!
- Uses the Lifecycle approach to ITSM. Having a lifecycle approach to the whole, vast ITSM system breaks it down to a few simple concepts to be followed. With this lifecycle approach, grasping the key concepts becomes so much more convenient, and it is way easier than the approaches used by the other ITSM Frameworks. So, if you want to study ITIL thoroughly, referring to its previous versions is a pretty good idea; that’s the reason most REPs (Registered Education Providers) today are still facilitating ITIL 3 Certification Training.
- Focuses on Culture and Customer Satisfaction. Did you know that the latest version of ITIL Framework i.e. ITIL 4 emphasizes the noble concept of “company culture”? It inspires Information Technology’s amalgamation with the other departments in an organization, as today all the other business units are dependent on technology. The most wonderful part is that ITIL 4 gives immense importance to customer feedback. A company’s public image or ‘goodwill’ as we call it, holds a great impact on a business, doesn’t it? And customer satisfaction or dissatisfaction is what decides success for a business.
- It is practical and flexible. With ITIL’s relevance and usability to Software Developers and IT Service Managers worldwide, it is clear that it provides an integrated, universal outlook of service delivery practices. The spotlight shed on transparency, automation, collaboration, etc. right from the very beginning i.e. ITIL 4 Foundation level, only points out just how trustworthy the framework is. To cope with the new, digitally advanced world, ITIL provides the support that is flexible, practical and is in alignment with the physical resources. What more do we ask for!
ITIL’s alternatives are undoubtedly similarly competent, but when you talk ‘convenience’, I personally believe ITIL is your best pick.
Today, many individuals are trying to find a career in ITSM and organizations are seeking ITSM support. Potential employers and customers need to understand that ITSM frameworks and processes are so much in demand today. For instance, whereas ITIL is a massive name in ITSM frameworks, Microsoft Operations Framework is creating a decent name for itself as a competitive framework. This shows that ITSM practices are, in fact, a huge industry requirement, and more organizations are embracing them at present by facilitating ITIL Training to their teams.
The practical use of an ITSM framework
For organizations, it helps consider the options offered to assist and meet your IT service delivery targets. A list of widely used frameworks and processes is effective if for nothing else, to help you choose as you establish your own ITSM strategy.
The ultimate goal of any ITSM Framework, ideally, should be to improve the way an IT business delivers its services and supports its customers. It must have the capacity and capability of providing the most effective processes. It must always encourage to improve an organization’s people and its technology.
To conclude, I would have to say that the adaptation of ITIL can be the perfect base for the technological summit your business aims at. You can certainly take the assistance of many stepping stones like DevOps, Cyber Security and Resilience, Internet of Things, and thousands of other popping-out trends, but without a footing solid enough, understanding the other applications is a little bit of a ‘shot in the dark’, don’t you think! 🙂
ITIL 4, the version released in 2019:
- Incorporates modern technology, innovative software and tools
- Believes in customer feedback
- Maintains emphasis on automation of processes
- Attempts to improve service management
- Integrates IT department into the organization
So, walk the path of your ultimate summit by including ITIL in your business. Get ITIL 4 Training, get certified and set your footing right!