The moment people think about a career in IT, they not thinking much about terms like, “Ethical Hacking” and “Cybersecurity.” These domains have made the IT sector essential for any organization. However, only knowledge that is not backed by a certificate is like serving a scrumptious sandwich on the bare table. A certificate acknowledges that the person is competent enough to deal with the subject at a professional level. In this context, several IT professionals have a common question what is CISSP certification?
Introduction to CISSP
CISSP stands for Certified Information Systems Security Professional. It is an advanced level of certification that is helpful for Information Technology professionals. CISSP certification is globally recognized. It is offered by ISC2, a leading organization that specializes in training and certification also professionals belonging to the new digital age cybersecurity industry.
The CISSP certification helps cybersecurity professionals design, define, and control the management of highly secure business domains. People are eligible to become CISSP professionals after they pass the CISSP certification successfully.
Scope of CISSP Certification
In this era, the USA has the maximum number of CISSP certified professionals also there is a huge demand for CISSP Certified professionals across the world. So many cybersecurity experts strongly recommend this CISSP training and certification to go before anything else.
Requirements of CISSP Training
The value of this certification has not declined over the years. The CISSP certification is broadly categorized into eight domains. The eight domains of CISSP certification are as follows-
- Security And Risk Management
- Asset Security
- Security Engineering
- Communication And Network Security
- Identity and Access Management
- Security Assessment And Testing
- Security Operations
- Software Development Security
- CISSP has above eight domains. If you want to clear the CISSP certification, you need to have a minimum of five years of working experience in at least two or more of these eight domains.
- If you hold a college degree (the duration should be of five years), or any other advanced degree from a college recognized by (ISC)2, the experience of four years will suffice.
- The experience can also be reduced if you hold a certification from ISC2.
- It is important to clear primary and managerial level certifications, like CompTIA Security+, CEH, or CCNA, before attempting CISSP.
- The CISSP certification exam lasts for six hours. It is mandatory to answer 250 questions within this timeframe. You need to pay a registration fee to register for it.
- Even candidates without any experience may appear for this exam. However, they will be certified as associates of ISC2. They will be registered as CISSP certified professionals only after they gain the required work experience.
- The questions cover each of the eight domains.
Intended Audience for CISSP
The CISSP certification is not suitable for everybody. People need to ask themselves about their long-term and short-term career goals.
Only the following professionals find the CISSP certification helpful–
- Chief Information Security Officer
- Chief Information Officer
- IT Manager/Director
- Security Analyst
- Security Systems Engineer
- Security Architect
- Network Architect
- Security Consultant
- Director Of Security
They have higher chances of getting promoted to the next post, by virtue of the CISSP certification.
The CISSP certification unlocks a wide variety of educational tools, exclusive resources, and peer-to-peer networking opportunities. CISSP certified professionals eliminate security threats and acquire hands-on experience.
They claim that this certification has prepared them to be better IT leaders and have better access to cybersecurity. CISSP professionals observe and examine the required framework for any suspicious movement and execute remedial measures. They also create and generate security reports on a real-time basis. This certification also leaves a positive impact on decision-making and throws light on some secrets of successful ethical hacking.
The Pathway To CISSP Course
Cybersecurity is a major cause of concern in the 21st century. Cybercrime is on the rise. Every 39 seconds, a computer gets hacked. So, it is important to follow the steps mentioned below to acquire a CISSP Certification–
- Confirm that CISSP certification is the right choice for you.
- Register and get ready for the certification
- Get certified
Studies reveal that almost one-fourth of the cybersecurity job postings hire CISSP certified professionals. A CISSP certification is not the skeleton key that opens all the doors to success. This certification definitely helps people improve their professional skills. However, they are still required to work hard, to achieve it.
A CISSP certified professional possesses in-depth knowledge of each of these domains. They show great demand in several areas. To begin with, they are qualified to demonstrate knowledge of physical security systems and how they add value to network security systems. They are able to implement network architecture. As a result, they are able to anticipate threats and utilize the limited resources to the best of their abilities.
They are able to collect digital forensic evidence and at the same time, maintain the integrity of acquired evidence. Comparing and contrasting different cryptographic protocols is a part of the CISSP certification curriculum.
Their communication skills need to be flawless. Every leader involves CISSP professionals as a part of important board meetings. Clients feel they provide top-level data security. They gain more credibility as security experts with the country as well as out of it. Certified CISSP professionals are updated with the latest trends and developments.
A CISSP certification enhances productivity and improves their skills. From the moment you start preparing for this certification, you could attempt a few practice exams, refer to study guides, and get involved with security in general. So, their productivity enhances in general. It becomes easier for you to understand how to optimize your productivity. Clients as well as the stakeholders of the organizations believe that the CISSP certified professionals know what they are talking about. Not only do they earth a six-figure salary, but also provide a full 100% ROI.
Skills That The CISSP Certification Measures
The CISSP certification measures the following skills of the professionals-
Legal Regulations And Compliance- It addresses cybercrime laws, methods to gain evidence, and investigative techniques.
Security Architecture And Design- It contains the principles, standards, structures and used to implement, monitor, and design secure operating systems, networks, and certain controls. The controls are used to enforce different levels of confidentiality, availability, and integrity.
Operations Security- It is used to identify the controls over hardware, media, and operators who have access privileges. To any of these privileges.
Business Continuity And Disaster Recovery Planning– It addresses the preservation of the business despite major obstacles to normal business operations.
Physical Security- It is also known as environmental security. Its purpose is to address the weaknesses, threats and counter attacks that may be implemented to protect the resources of an organization. It also protects the confidential and sensitive information of the organization.
Telecommunications And Network Security- The transmission methods, network structures, and security measures used to provide integrity, confidentiality and availability are discussed under these criteria.
Access Control– It consists of a collection of mechanisms that work together to create security architecture. Its aim is to protect the assets of the information system.
Information Security Governance And Risk Management- It identifies information about the assets of a company. Also, it develops, documents, and implements a variety of policies, guidelines, and protocols.
Advantages of CISSP Certification
People go in for the CISSP certification because it offers the following advantages-
- CISSP certification is globally recognized and guarantees competency. It is widely sought after.
- CISSP certified professionals get up to 25% salary hike, as compared to their non-certified counterparts. A higher salary package is ensured for them. CISSP certification is the third highest paying IIT certification.
- CISSP certified professional understands all the aspects of cybersecurity. CISSP certified professional proves his or her competence.
- CISSP certified professionals can confidently claim that they are capable of designing, managing, and implementing the best cybersecurity programs.
- This certification ensures that the professionals get the best support from their active community. They get the opportunity to prove their skills and earn solid career growth.
- CISSP certification prepares the candidates to manage their domains efficiently.
Most organizations are searching for candidates who can protect their data against theft. CISSP certified professionals are at the top of their league in providing cybersecurity. Many careers in the field of information security have made a CISSP certification mandatory. CISSP certified professionals concentrate on the root cause and not on the issue.
They bluntly point out how much can be achieved at one go. CISSP certified professionals have a wider business perspective. The CISSP certification helps them gain a wider perspective into the security industry. As a result, they can identify and eliminate the minor flaws that may gradually develop into major threats over time.
Outcomes of The CISSP Certification Training
The CISSP certification training outcomes are as follows-
- More Employable- A CISSP certification ensures that qualified people have enough theoretical and practical experience. A CISSP certification is good for managers.
- Gains Credibility- As An Information Security Expert- When a CISSP certified professional speaks during the meeting, even the security experts listen to them. This training imparts people with skills that people appreciate and understand. It imparts people with skills that reflect their worth.
- No Fear Of Being Jobless- A CISSP certified professional has no fear of being jobless. These are difficult times in regards to a job. So, this certification secures the job of a person.
- Disciplined Employees- The CISSP certification helps people be more disciplined in their workplace. Their strict discipline reflects in their work.
Salary and Growth Opportunites for CISSP Certified Professionals
Cybersecurity is of vital importance in the private and government sector. The certifications for government employees have four levels-
- Information Assurance Technical
- Information Assurance Management
- Information Assurance System Architect And Engineer
- Cybersecurity Service Provider
So, people who are eager to apply for government jobs should relentlessly pursue a CISSP certification. Government IT professionals claim that a CISSP certification provides comprehensive, yet updated knowledge.
Global Knowledge has published a report about IT skills and salary in 2019. According to it, a CISSP certified professional earns approximately 2 million on an average every month. It has been a popular certification for more than two decades and its value doesn’t seem to be going down. On the other hand, the CISSP certified professionals earn at least 9 percent more than their non-certified counterparts in and across the world.
The Final Verdict-
CISSP certification is comparable to a Masters’s degree in the field of IT. However, it is important to exercise a word of caution. It may be viewed as a way to stay updated and one of the best cybersecurity certifications with the plethora of opportunities.