Earning a Project Management Professional (PMP)® credential marks a significant achievement in your career. The PMP certification once gained, remains valid up to 3 years. Every three years, certified PMP holders have to renew the credential to stay relevant and get recognized in the field. The certification renewal process requires earning 60 Professional Development Units (PDUs) per 3-year cycle. Read this blog till end to understand PMP certification renewal process as well as PMP renewal fee.
So, you get to renew your certification at regular intervals by demonstrating that your expert abilities have stayed sharp and applicable to current business demands.
Under the program, your advancement is estimated utilizing Professional Development Units – PDUs. PDUs are one-hour squares of time that you spend fostering your expert capabilities and further developing your project management abilities.
You can follow PDUs by getting to the Continuing Certification Requirements System – CCRS and recording the time you spend on the accompanying exercises:
- Education (instructor-led formal courses, global events, PMI chapter events, self-paced learning, self-directed reading, structured professional discussions)
- Giving back to the profession (sharing knowledge, contribute to the profession, while enriching your own skills)
Why Renew PMP Certificate?
PMP certificate has a validity of 3 years, post which the credential stands suspended for 1 year and becomes invalid. While PMP certification renewal is a PMI requirement, it helps you maintain your PMP expertise and stay relevant in this constantly evolving business world. Interestingly, candidates do not have to retake the PMP exam. Instead, PMI demands members to level-up their industry knowledge which is an amazing opportunity to keep up with the industry best practices in professional development activities.
PMP is a globally acclaimed certification and is looked upon as the highest recognition in the field of project management. Thus, continuous improvement is an essential factor for the PMP certification renewal process.
How to know your PMP certification cycle?
Your certification cycle begins on the date you pass the PMP certification exam and ends on the third anniversary day of your passing the exam. Your next certification renewal also starts on the third anniversary day of passing of the exam.
PMP Certification Renewal Process
Step 1: Earn 60 PDUs
PMI requires all PMP certification holders to earn 60 Professional Development Units (PDUs) to meet the established Continuing Certification Requirements (CCR). The 60 PDUs can be broken down as below:
- 35 minimum education PDUs
- 25 maximum giving back PDUs
- Education PDUs: These are mandatory. PMI suggests earning a minimum of 35 education PDUs, which can be through learning activities including seminars, webinars or similar activities. It is recommended to have a balance of leadership, technical, and strategic & business management skills while acquiring these 35 PDUs. These three skill areas form the PMI Talent Triangle.
While minimum 35 educational PDUs per CCR cycle are required, you can also choose to earn all 60 PDUs within this category.
- Giving back PDUs: These are optional. Only up to 25 giving back PDUs are allowed per CCR cycle. You can earn these by investing time in volunteering, teaching, and performing similar activities. PMI recognizes your effort in sharing your PMP expertise and applying your skills actively and therefore the giving back PDUs are accepted.
Step 2: Enter PDUs in CCR
The next step is to enter your professional development activities in the online CCR system to earn PDUs.
CCRS is a web-based tool that provides an easy-to-use dashboard and allows you to view:
- Days until PMP cancellation expires
- How PDUs comply with CCR requirements
- Amount of PDUs required to restore the PMP certification
- An outlook of all PDU claims
How to submit PDUs to CCRS?
To submit your PDUs in the Continuing Certification Requirements System (CCRS), you have to follow these steps:
- Log into the CCRS dashboard
- Click “Report PDUs” on the dashboard
- Select the PDU category from the dropdown menu
- Fill the mandatory details about your professional development activity
- Feed in the type and number of PDUs you intend to claim for the activity
- Check the box placed next to the “I agree this claim is accurate” statement
- Click on the “Submit” button
Step 3: Submit your renewal application
Once you have successfully earned 60 PDUs, you can submit your PMP certification renewal application. You can submit the application online or offline. During submission, you will have to provide your member ID, contact details, and payment information.
Step 4: Approve your commitment to the PMI Code of Ethics
After submitting your application, you need to re-confirm your commitment to the PMI code of ethics.
Step 5: Pay the renewal fee
The renewal of PMP certification costs $60 for PMI members and $150 for non-members. This fee has to be paid at the time of your renewal application submission. Even if you decide to submit your application and renewal fee early, your cycle remains unaffected.
For example, your certification renewal date is 1 January 2024 and you renew it on 1 June 2024. Your certification renewal date will remain 1 January 2027 (i.e., three years from your original renewal date).
Step 6: Acknowledge your confirmation from PMI
PMI will send a confirmation of receipt of your application with the following information:
- An email confirmation approving of your renewal process
- An updated digital PMP badge
- Information about your new PMP CCR cycle renewal dates
If you are looking to earn PDUs towards maintaining your PMP badge, consider taking the PMP certification training from Vinsys. We also offer a variety of project management courses guided by highly skilled, certified, industry-expert trainers.
Why Join Vinsys
Vinsys is a globally-acclaimed training organization for project management courses, especially the PMP. Our training expertise and accredited courseware along with exam preparation guidance has an unmatched ratio of successful certifications. Vinsys has been in the training industry since 1999 and is trusted by thousands of learners across the globe. Earn your educational PDUs with us today!
Also Check Various PMP Certification Training offered by Vinsys.